On February 11th, 2019 an agreement was signed between UNESCO and the Autonomous University of Madrid, represented by its Director-General, Audrey Azoulay, and by the Chancellor of the UAM, Rafael Garesse. The UNESCO Chair on Education for Social Justice of the Autonomous University of Madrid has been created by this act.
The UNESCO Chair on Education for Social Justice at the UAM is part of the Institute of Democracy, Human Rights and Culture of Peace and Non-Violence (DEMOSPAZ) and is based on the research group of the UAM “Educational Change for Justice Social” (GICE) and the research group “Teaching and Evaluation of Physical Activity and Sports” (GIEEAFD), both of the Faculty of Teacher Training and Education, organizations with leadership experience, capacity for coordination of activities and mobilization of resources.
The UNESCO Chair was born with the purpose of promoting an integrated system of research, development and innovation, dissemination, training and documentation on education and social justice. The Chair will facilitate collaboration between internationally recognized high level researchers, teaching staff of the University and other institutions in Spain, as well as in other places in Europe, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and in other regions of the world.
The objetives of the Chair are:
- Undertake jointly with parteners interdisciplinarity resarch to advance Knowledge in the field of education for social justice an disseminate results widely; raise awareness of the importance of the issue for siety at large; and advocate for its inclusion inte education public policy agenda.
- Develop curricular materials on education for social justice (a posgraduate program, e-learning and shor courses) and train students , faculty specialists and teachers at different levesl of education as well as educator fron non-formal contexts;
- Promote innovation actions of education for social justice in formal an nonformal education settings;
- Foster networking and the sharing of knowledge and good pracitices at the local, national and international levels notably through the creation of research networks and of an International for Documentation on Education for Social Justice, a dedicate website, publications and international conferences;
- Cooperate closely with UNESCO and existeing UNESCO Chairs on relevant programmes and activities.